Child Care Worker
|Employment Type:||Part Time|
|Department:||CFS - EMERSON FAMILY CENTER|
|Job Classification Category:||Social Service|
|Description:||This position exists only in the Mental Health Division. Provides supervision and outdoor/indoor activities for children of consumers during the hours of 3:00-7:00pm. Activities are designed to foster the childrens’ social, emotional, cognitive and academic growth.|
|Duties:||1. Provides skills training in simple painting, drawing, handwork and similar activities. Encourages children's development by developing their own projects.|
2. Supervises children during free play. Allows children to select an activity and observes childrens’ interaction. Intercedes in the children's play when appropriate.
3. Reads stories, tells nursery rhymes and organizes finger play. Givers children the opportunity to retell their own stories and answer questions. Encourages children to participate in repeating stories and nursery rhymes.
4. Assists children with homework and prepares a quiet area that allows children to concentrate and complete homework. Teaches children basic shapes, colors, numbers and vertical and horizontal directions.
5. Provides skills training in: problem solving and decision making, basic common courtesies and caring such as sharing toys and taking turns on playground equipment, and effectively listening and following directions.
6. Takes regular attendance of children. Evaluates children's behavior and developmental growth. Completes regular progress notes and status reports on the children.
7. Cleans toys and equipment, keeps the play room clean and serviceable.
8. Provides crisis intervention using nonverbal and verbal intervention techniques during a crisis situation.
9. Immediately reports all incidents, allegations of abuse or sensitive situations and completes incident reports to the Family Development Specialist or Program Managers. Completes regular body checks of children.
1. May be required to escort children from school and/or day care programs.
2. May have to care for children if parents are absent due to hospitalization or other events.
3. May make minor repairs to clothing.
4. May serve snacks and refreshments and regulate rest periods.
5. Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
|Qualifications:||KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:|
1. Serves as a role model to staff and children.
2. High school level or equivalent reading, verbal and written communication ability and arithmetic ability.
RELATIONSHIP WITH OTHERS:
This is a direct care staff position that reports to the Family Development Specialist. Interacts with program direct care staff and program management. Required to coordinate activities within the program and outside the program.
High school graduate or equivalent. On year experience as a child care worker or related experience.