|Employment Type:||Full Time|
|Department:||IDDD - GARDEN HOUSE/Ave D|
|Description:||DIRECT CARE/MEDICAL SPECIALIST WITH AMAP CERTIFICATION NEEDED IN BROOKLYN, NY|
Work Schedule: Monday-Friday 8:00AM-4:30PM
Under general supervision of clinical or higher level staff provides direct care to developmentally disabled individuals in a residential setting.
Medical Specialists are Skillbuilders with specialized responsibilities involving medical appointments, medication administration and associated follow-up.
Skillbuilders perform a wide variety of routine tasks and activities in support of the full range of habilitative services provided to developmentally disabled individuals. The tasks and activities performed depend upon the specific abilities of the individuals being served and the nature of the setting where the work is performed. These tasks involve encouraging, guiding and training individuals in developing daily living skills and habits, taking care of their personal needs, assuring community integration, ensuring the health and safety of individuals, and maintaining the service environment.
|Duties:||Specialized Medical Specialist tasks:|
- Makes medical appointments for consumers.
- Arranges or provides transportation to medical appointments for consumers.
- Upon return from a medical appointment, checks to see if the consumer has medication order, new medications, or a future medical appointment.
- Completes the appropriate medical summary records in the consumer’s chart. Completes a summary record of medical visits in the nursing communication log and updates the appointment record log.
- Places a copy of the medical summary reports in the medical professional staffs’ mail boxes.
- When on duty, ensures that medications are ordered, documented in the medication administration form, or discharged as ordered.
- When not on duty, checks the medication administration performance of the AMAPs upon return to work.
- Checks medications and medical supplies twice a week to ensure that a five day supply of medications is on hand and that medical supplies are in sufficient quantity to support the medication program.
- Files consumer medical records in accordance with Agency policy.
- Conducts monthly checks of the consumers’ weight and records the results on appropriate records.
- Receives medications from medication suppliers, checks the medications against doctor’s orders, and records new medications on appropriate forms.
Medical Specialists are expected to be able to perform all duties of a Skillbuilder as assigned.
|Qualifications:||MINIMUM EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:|
MUST HAVE CLEAN AND VALID NEW YORK STATE DRIVERS LICENSE
MUST BE CURRENTLY AMAP CERTIFIED AND MUST MAINTAIN AMAP CERTIFICATION IN ORDER TO MAINTAIN EMPLOYMENT AS MEDICAL SPECIALIST.
High school diploma or GED and at least one year experience in providing direct services to adults with mental retardation and/or developmental disabilities or closely related experience.
PREFERRED EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
Direct Care experience with people with mental and/or physical disabilities; current SCIP-R, CPR/SFA certified, current AMAP certification.
This job is no longer active. Please click here to see current job listings.